After she left I finally got ready for the day and decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles. The chicken is almost done thawing, its a whole chicken, I will use it to make the stock too. It's my Mom's recipe and it is sooooo good.
FYI--This is not a quick recipe, it could be if you already had the stock frozen or used store bought chicken stock, but truthfully nothing tastes as good as homemade.
Homemade chicken noodle soup:
- Boil whole chicken, add some onions, and carrots(you don't have to) also add some chicken bouillon cubes....boil until it falls off the bone....could take a couple of hours.
- Strain and/or separate the stock from the chicken.
- Next take out all the bones by hand....takes a while, this will also shred the chicken into smaller bite size pieces.
- Add meat, 1 cup of carrots & celery, 1 medium onion, and some garlic to the stock.
- Cook on low heat for several hours.
- 4-5 eggs
- about 2 cups of whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
- In my family we use a lot of flour so there is no sticking and we don't dry the noodles either.
- kneed and then roll out and turning until the dough is thin.
- I prefer rolling the dough like a jellyroll and cut them that way.
- Since we use a lot of flour we give them a little bath in boiling water and then add them to the soup. My Grandma says its because she likes a thinner broth and it rinses the extra flour off.
- Cut thinly because they will get bigger once you cook them.
Enjoy!!! Serves A lot!!!