Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nervous Energy

Nervous energy is what I have. My wonderful cleaning lady came today and usually I leave, but I didn't even shower until an hour ago. I cleaned with Sally, granted I moved slower than she did and she did do most of the work but it felt good. I also love talking to Sally, she is like an Aunt...she knows a lot and has lots of great advice.

After she left I finally got ready for the day and decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles. The chicken is almost done thawing, its a whole chicken, I will use it to make the stock too. It's my Mom's recipe and it is sooooo good.

FYI--This is not a quick recipe, it could be if you already had the stock frozen or used store bought chicken stock, but truthfully nothing tastes as good as homemade.

Homemade chicken noodle soup:
  • Boil whole chicken, add some onions, and carrots(you don't have to) also add some chicken bouillon cubes....boil until it falls off the bone....could take a couple of hours.
  • Strain and/or separate the stock from the chicken.
  • Next take out all the bones by hand....takes a while, this will also shred the chicken into smaller bite size pieces.
  • Add meat, 1 cup of carrots & celery, 1 medium onion, and some garlic to the stock.
  • Cook on low heat for several hours.
Homemade noodles:
  • 4-5 eggs
  • about 2 cups of whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
  • In my family we use a lot of flour so there is no sticking and we don't dry the noodles either.
  • kneed and then roll out and turning until the dough is thin.
  • I prefer rolling the dough like a jellyroll and cut them that way.
  • Since we use a lot of flour we give them a little bath in boiling water and then add them to the soup. My Grandma says its because she likes a thinner broth and it rinses the extra flour off.
  • Cut thinly because they will get bigger once you cook them.
Add the noodles to the soup 20 minutes before you are going to serve.

Enjoy!!! Serves A lot!!!

No comments: