Lindsey won the cooking challenge yesterday, if you didn't see it she had like 30 seconds to pick food from a mini mart called "Ray-Mart" and cook a well balanced diet. She made:
White Bean and Sausage Soup
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound pork sausage, your favorite variety, removed from casing
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 bundle of celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, 1 can mashed or pureed in a food processor to a paste
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 4 whole wheat bagels, sliced in half and quartered, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the sausage to the pan and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon, until golden brown, 6-7 minutes.
Add the onions, garlic, celery, cayenne, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan, and cook until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes.
Add the whole and mashed cannellini beans to the pot along with the stock and bring up to a bubble. Simmer until thickened, 4-5 minutes. Serve soup with toasted buttered bagel quarters alongside.
Momma Lindsey's Apples and Dipper
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, your kid's favorite variety
- 2 Three Musketeer bars, cut lengthwise and chopped, divided
- 4 apples (any variety you like), cored and sliced
Mix together the peanut butter and half of the chopped candy bar in a small serving bowl.
Sprinkle the remaining chopped candy bar over the top of the bowl as a garnish. Serve with apple slices for dipping.