Friday, January 30, 2009

Review of homemade laundry soap -- w/pics

In this post I said I was going to try making homemade laundry soap. Well, I made some earlier this week and guess what.....it works. I made 2 adjustment, first I double the borax & washing soap because the kids clothes can get especially dirty and secondly I added an essential oil called tranquility.



I put between 15-20 drops in the 10 qt bucket and I really like it. I had a hard time finding a place that sold essential oils, I finally found some at an organic grocery store. They had so many samples that it was hard to choose and keep the smells separate in my head. Most were so concentrated that I couldn't imagine the final smell....if that makes sense, and some were just gross!! Will post picture's later today. Below I put it in a jar so you could see the color, but it didn't turn out too well, its like a creamy off white and the next day its a clumpy jell mix.

2 comments:

About said...

OOOh -

Okay, I want details, lol!

Did you use the same amounts that I posted? How much did it make? I was thinking I'd have to halve my recipe because I thought it would make too much. Now, seeing your jar, I'm not sure.

Also, do you have to stir it before you dip it out for each load? Is it getting out kid stains? Ketchup, grass?

Can't wait to hear. This sounds so economical!!! Beats the heck out of MEthod or 7th Gen, too in price.

Christy said...

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

First I need to say that what I put in the jar was the left over that wouldn't fit in the 2 quart bucket.

I used 1 cup of each borax & washing soda because like you said, we have kids...and a dog which = lots of dirt!!

I do stir it before I dip in my cup, and its a clumpy gel mixture. I left in an old really long salad spoon to stir it.

I'm convinced that I'm wearing clean clothes, so I would say yes it works. I also found out that you can make your own dryer sheets....don't fall out of your chair....its even easier than the laundry soap. Take a wash clothes and soak it in fabric softener, let air dry and then put it in a net bag with each load in the dryer and it should last about 10-15 loads. It doesn't work as well but it works in a pinch.

I highly recommend an essential oil. It was hard to find but I found some at a small organic grocery store. It was $10 for a small bottle, but you only need as many drops as you like to get the smell you want.

I need a lid for my bucket because I can tell its evaporating, I just keep it in the sink next to the washing machine.

Seriously it was so easy and cheap that I'm not sure I will ever buy laundry soap again. Even if it didn't work, there are so many recipes out there that I'm sure I would find one that worked for us.

Just a side note, when I told my Mom she said...I remember my Mom making homemade laundry soap when I was a kid and I was like....awww....I love that.