Sunday, February 1, 2009

The gathering of Oregon's First Nations

We went to a Powwow yesterday. It was celebrating 150 years of Native Americans in Oregon. The 150th anniversary of Oregon's statehood is Feb. 14th, and events like this are happening all over Oregon. We took the kids because when I was a child, I remember my parent's taking me to an Indian funeral and it was an amazing experience that I won't forget. My Mom grew up in Pendleton and so I was able to go to Round Up and Happy Canyon as a kid. One day we will take our little ones, but not yet.




Lincoln really enjoyed the beat from the drums, he was constantly moving his body to the beat of the drum. Reagan loved all the beautiful dresses, the beads and feathers. The actually powwow got started late and went longer than expected due to someone getting ill and an ambulance had to be called. The kids had had enough, so we got some Indian fry bread and headed to home depot.

No comments: