Thursday, April 30, 2009

cream of asparagus soup


A couple of years ago my Mom made cream of asparagus soup and I thought ewww. But then I tried it and love it. Since asparagus is coming into season I had an itch to make some. My Mom didn't really have a recipe so I winged it. Here is my recipe for homemade cream of asparagus soup.

1 1/2 to 2 lb of fresh asparagus
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons of butter
salt & pepper to taste

Wash asparagus and cut off bottom 2 inches. Boil the ends in 3 cups of water until tender. Put them in an ice cold bath and then puree in food processor. Then put them through a food grinder, I used the baby food grinder, then mash through fine mesh strainer. Its worth it to get all the other stuff out.

Peal remaining asparagus and steam until tender. Put then in an ice cold bath and then puree is food processor and then through fine mesh strainer. Again its worth it to get the final taste.

Melt butter over medium heat and then add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil. Add asparagus puree and salt & pepper to taste.

Its not a super quick soup but I love it and its very good with some crispy bread or croutons.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Hi there, this is a really nice post about asparagus. It would be great if you linked to it in my Food on Friday series. This week it is about all things asparagus. Food on Friday