Thursday, April 2, 2009

Good Morning

I'm barely here. I have a sinus infection along with 2 ear infections and an upper respiratory infection. I'm on a really strong antibiotic and some cough syrup with some very nice codeine. My real problem is that I can't stop coughing, which is actually good because it is getting the gunk out, it just hurts to cough.

Today the kids wanted pancakes and I've realized that they aren't that hard to make. However, I ran into a little bit of a problem.....all out of maple syrup. I remember as a kid my Mom making homemade syrup for us, but for the most part we always had real Vermont maple syrup. I have a great Uncle who lives in Vermont on a small farm and he would occasionally send us syrup, but honestly.....once you have tried real maple syrup how could you go back? So, the only problem I have is that we use to buy our maple syrup from Costco and it was the Kirkland brand, so it was a nice large bottle......sadly they don't sell it anymore.....just a different brand in a smaller package that is more expensive.

I have a solution that I thought of just this morning, and I even tested it out this morning. I made homemade syrup for the kids and will save the good stuff for me and Tim.
Here is the recipe for homemade syrup for pancakes & waffles.

1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 cups of water
3/4 cup of light corn syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of maple flavor (optional)

Combine all ingredients except vanilla & maple flavor in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes or until its slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla and maple flavor. Let cool for 15 minutes. Makes 3 cups and can be stored in the cupboard.

I wasn't sure if Reagan would like it, but to my relief she loves it. I even had some since we are out of the real stuff and it actually is pretty good.

5 comments:

Scott and Shana said...

Hope you feel better! I will totally use that recipe!

Christy said...

Thanks Scott. We don't have maple flavor so I just used vanilla, and it still was pretty good.

I've Move to: www.HOWISJULIE.com said...

My mom used to always make our syrup when I was a kid. Don't think she put in any Karo syrup, though. I remember making some off the top of my head long ago. Kids never complained.... Kind of fun to do, really, but it takes time.
I prefer Mrs. Butterworth.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember ever having home made syrup w/out maple flavoring.If you say it is not too bad, I'll take your word for it. I'm sure it doesn't taste like corn syrup. Mom

Stormy C... is said...

I remember my Mom making syrup too when we would run out, I always loved it. :) Thanks for sharing.