Wednesday, April 15, 2009

homemade dry powder laundry soap

I have shared with you all how cheap and easy it is to make your own homemade liquid laundry soap. Well, I have found something much better, easier, and takes up less space.
Its a powder laundry soap.

1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1 cup oxy-clean
1/2 bar of fels naptha soap
1/3 bar of Irish spring bar of soap (we have a ton that Tim doesn't use anymore so I tried it add a nice smell.

You can either grate the bar of soap by hand or as I recommend, put it in the food processor. Combine all ingredients in a left over can, like hot chocolate or a formula can (of course washing and dried.)

1 to 2 tablespoons per load.

I can't tell you enough how much I love the dry better than the liquid...wow there is a difference.

This is my friend Trudie's recipe, her recipe will last 6 months to a year depending on how many loads of laundry you do.

(1) 4 lb 12 oz box of Borax.
(1) 3 lb 7 oz box of Super Washing Soda.
(1) 4 lb box of Baking Soda (or 4 1lb boxes. I couldn't find the 4 lb box).
3 bars Fels-Naptha Soap.
3-3.5 lbs Oxyclean. I think the small containers are close to 1.75 lbs. I bought the 5 pounder and used 3 lbs out of it.
All items I bought at Walmart.
You have to grate the soap with a cheese grater (I use the grater blade on my food processor) and then I grind it up in my food processor.
Then just mix it together in a 5 gallon bucket. Use 1 to 2 TBS per load. I use 2.

1 comment:

Marylin Shannon said...

Christy,
I remember my Grandma Goben, in La Grande, OR, doing her laundry with shaved Fels Napha soap.

Then in the rinse water of her whites, she would add some Bluing from her Bluing bottle. Then she would put her clothing piece by piece through the wringer. When she wasn't in a hurry, she'd let us kids crank the handle for the wringer.

And she hung up all the clothes outside on the clothes line. No dryers in those days.
Mom