Thursday, September 16, 2010

My award winning chili recipe

Go grab a pen or print this puppy out because yes, it is that good....trust me!!!

1 lb of ground beef or steak chunks (that is how Tim prefers it)
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of dark kidney beans - drained
1 can of garbanzo beans- drained
1 can of red beans - drained
1 can of corn or frozen corn - drained
1 can of tomato sauce
3 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
crushed red pepper to your liking

In a large sauce cook ground beef or steak chunks, onion, and garlic until meat is brown.
Stir in
un-drained tomatoes.
Add the rest of the beans drained and tomato sauce.
You can also add different beans if you like to make it your own.
Add all the seasoning and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat & cover for 20 min.

Serve with corn bread to complete this delicious fall meal.

I have made this for several chili cook offs and have won almost every time.

Tim doesn't like beans, so I will make it without the beans and with the steak chunks and it still tastes really good (we call this MAN Chili). You can also go the other route by not adding any meat and have a vegetarian chili.

I wonder if it would taste good if I made it with shrimp & crab for a seafood chili, or would I have to use a completely different recipe?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I always like me a good new chili recipe! Especially on these rainy days! My kids love beans and it is a great way to get some protein in them. Whatever works!
Love ya,
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

P.S. Hope you are going to link this up to my Inspiration Friday Party!

Christy said...

Absolutely!!!

When I make Tim his chili he calls it "man chili" basically just meat ;)

But I love all the other flavors going on.