Recovery from this surgery is long. 6 to 8 weeks of absolutely no lifting of that arm. After that its more PT for probably another 6 weeks. My arm will be in a sling brace thing that keeps the tendon in a relaxed position and it attaches around my chest. I go for a pre-op next week and I have a list of questions for him.
Here are a few:
- Can I use the hand at all, like to button my pants?
- What about washing my hair after a few days?
- You said no lifting anything, does that mean I can't use it to put my hair up?
- Can I use that hand to complete tasks like hold a shoe lace to tie shoes?
- Can I hold anything in that hand?
I could wait until after school is out, but I don't want to miss the summer with the kids. After taking the kids to school I can always go to my parents house and relax or drop McKinley off for a few hours.
I have an excellent surgeon and I'm ready to be pain free. I'm in constant pain and I'm pretty good about hiding it until I try to go beyond what my shoulder can do. Not being able to lift McKinley over my head or anything that is slightly heavy is very discouraging. I'm looking forward to regaining strength in my hand, arm and shoulder because I have lost a lot of strength and flexibility trying to protect it.
I will keep you posted. Could you also pray that I get the March 25th surgery day?