Thursday, August 21, 2014

DIY pencil sharpener container

I don't know about your kids' school but at our kids' school they each need a pencil sharpener that contains the shavings.  

I think they charge a lot for something so small. The other issue we have is that the blade doesn't last the whole year and they don't sell replacement blades. 

Today I have two quick & easy projects that will take no time at all.

The first one is a pencil sharpener container.
You will need a protected surface like a craft table, cutting board, or cutting mat to work on.
-glue gun
-x-acto knife 
-package of tiny pencil sharpeners from the dollar store or ones around the house.
-pen
-pencil 
-pill bottle, mine is from Walgreens 
-optional-drill


You need to draw a circle in the center of the lid, using the eraser end of a new pencil as your guide.


Next use the x-acto knife to carve out the circle. Go slow, it's doesn't take much.  You can also use a drill and it might give you a more even circle. (I just thought of that)

Once you have the hole cut, line up the pencil sharpener to see how it fits.
Then use the hot glue and apply it around the hole on the pencil sharpener.
Don't worry about getting it in the hole where the pencil goes. It will look something like this. After it dries the x-acto knife cuts it off like butta.


Don't put the x-acto knife down yet, we need to remove the child saftely latch on the pill bottle.  
Just apply a little pressure and slowly move the knife back and forth and it will come right off.

Now you can screw the lid on the bottle and you have a super cheap pencil sharpener container.  Let your kids decorate it with stickers or permanent marker, with close supervision of course. 



The second easy fix I have for you works on manual pencil sharpeners and for electric pencil sharpeners. 

We bought this pencil sharpener from Costco 3 years ago.  I love it!!

But after 2 years the blad was dull and it was breaking all the lead. I searched high and low on google for replacement blades with no luck.  

I had taken it out and was looking for maybe a hidden part number, when I realized it was the same size blade as regular pencil sharpeners.  

So I bought a pack at the dollar store and now I easily change the blades out when they get dull.  I tell you it's genius!!  

This also works for pencil sharpeners that you kids happen to love but don't sharpen like they use to.

School starts for us in less than 2 weeks, I'm ready and not ready, very bittersweet.

No comments: